Contact our office for a confidential case analysis.
Se Habla Español

Divorce Attorney Orlando

What are grounds for divorce in Florida?

Florida is a no-fault divorce state, which means that in order to divorce you must prove either that the marriage was irretrievably broken or that there was mental incapacity on the part of one of the spouses. In order to claim mental incapacity, under Florida statutes, there must be an adjudication of mental incapacity for at least three years also you need expert divorce attorney in Orlando to prove that.

Is there a residency requirement to divorce in Florida?

Yes. You must have resided in Florida for at least six months in order to file divorce.

How long am I obligated to pay child support?

The child support obligation runs until a child reaches the age of 18 or the time when they graduate high school, whichever is later, but not past 19 years of age. You can get more details about child support attorney in Orlando here.

What can affect the amount of alimony I receive?

Alimony is set up to assist a party after divorce. Factors that affect the duration and amount of alimony payments can be financial resources of the parties, the standard of living during marriage, how long the marriage lasted, the time necessary for a party to find appropriate employment, your contribution to the marriage and each party's separate amount of assets.

If you inherit assets or property after marriage, is this property considered a marital asset during divorce?

Although the state of Florida is an equitable distribution state, in most circumstances, inherited property or assets would not be considered a marital asset subject to property division, as long as the asset was not titled in both spouses' names, was not co-mingled with marital assets, and marital funds were not used to maintain or support the property or asset.

If you are seeking counsel for a divorce in Orlando FL, contact the Orlando divorce law attorneys of Veliz Katz Law with 60 years of combined experience for a consultation.